One of the great summer-time side dishes is roasted peppers. You can usually get a bag of assorted peppers at the store in orange / yellow (not bell peppers). You’ll want to look for those that are just a few inches in length and still have their bright green stems.
- Bag of peppers
- Spicy sausage links
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Tomatoes (optional)
Mise and Cooking
- Slice sausages in 1 inch discs. We like to use spicy sausage because it pairs well with the peppers. Look for kielbasa which has a good, solid texture and browns really nicely.
- If you choose pre-cooked sausage then you do not need to brown it in advance. If using uncooked, brown lightly in a frying pan but do not cook through.
- In a bowl, toss the peppers in salt, pepper, olive oil, minced garlic, and tomatoes. If using tomatoes we recommend sundried.
- Let the peppers sit for at least 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Place peppers and sausages on a ceramic baking plate with sides into a hot oven at 350 for 30 minutes. You can also put them in a toaster oven on the bake setting.
- Peppers are done when they take on a shriveled appearance and have some charring on the skin. Bright green tops should turn dark, and the sausage should have charring on the sides facing the heat.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before transferring to a dining table-safe bowl for serving.
You do not need to be concerned about the seeds inside the peppers – they are safe to eat and you won’t grow plants in your stomach. Be cautious if using fresh tomatoes as they will hold their heat for an extended period of time after baking.